Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ramps and Rain

Bob has a cold and his voice is scratchy. When we got here yesterday Mark (campground owner) told him he should have some ramps. This morning when we were getting ready to leave both Mark and his wife told Bob he needed a handful or so of raw ramps.
We went into Elkins to look around. We didn't walk around much in the pouring rain. We did find the train station/ tourist information/ gift shop. We learned that the trains operate around Mother's Day and then from the end of May til sometime in September/October with special holiday trips. (We will come back) We also learned (as we thought) that ramps are wild leeks. This Saturday is the Ramps and Rails festival (apparently there are many Ramp festivals). And I got lots of travel pamphlets :) We drove around a little more and found the Iron Horse Statue Park. (On the map I picked up) The park is the statue and some flowers- barely room for a park bench. The area is referenced often, it is a cool statue but no information about who/what it was. I finally found the linked info.
We did get some ramps on the way back; Bob had a few of them raw;and we cooked the rest with dinner. (Bob thinks there might be some back home)
The weather in this valley changes rapidly. We watched the clouds come in and then the sun would come out and it was beautiful. Then the clouds and rain would come back. There is a very old cemetery on the road in. I wanted to check it out today. There were a few clouds in the sky but a nice afternoon. As I got almost to the cemetery I heard some thunder. It wasn't repeated so I thought I'd have time to look around a little. As soon as I started looking at the very old stones the wind came up. I could see the rain coming so I started back. I didn't make it (not much more than a 5 minute walk) before the rain and hail hit. About an hour later it was clear and we talked about cooking outside. 30 minutes later it was raining again. By the time dinner was over it was clear and Bob started a fire. We sat out for a little while, waiting to see stars - we saw about 10 stars before the clouds came back in. (It hasn't rained again yet). I can't wait to see what tomorrow will be as we go exploring.

No comments: