Monday, March 17, 2008

Smoky Mountains part 1








Our hosts, Barry and Chong O'Leary, gave us some great information about the area.

We followed their advice and for a starter did the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail.
I wish I could download all my pictures. It was breath-taking- sometimes literally.
We fit around the curves in Bob's car but I wouldn't have wanted to be in any of the SUV's we saw on some of the curves. I was ok on the way up (I was hillside) but at one point on the way down Bob looked over at me and asked if I wanted to drive so I'd be safer. I really would have lost it if we'd been any closer to the side (no guard rails even). It was a fun drive with the top down and all the trees and cliffs and even some flowers.
In addition to all the beautiful scenery there are historic buildings. They've preserved some of the farms and buildings from the late 1800's early 1900's to show how people lived in the mountains. We stopped at one of the houses (10 people in 2 rooms). The lady in the car we parked next to asked Bob if she could ask him a question- "Is that (tow stuff on the front of the car) so you can hook up a plow? I know you do things differently up there in New York."
Bob was very polite and explained no it was to tow the car behind our RV and besides his car can't be driven in the winter at home. (The license plate was Alabama)
Tomorrow we're going to do the drive to Cades Cove.
Now I think we'll do a little St. Patrick's Day celebrating :)

No comments: